since my mom started working again, we (the kids) were tasked to cook everyday meals for our family and Wednesday dinner was up to me. :) so i cooked a simple, Chinese inspired dish that i called HOISIN CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS.
here are the ingredients:
-i used 5 cloves of garlic-CRUSHED
-2 small red onions- CUT
*the key ingredient: HOISIN SAUCE
i actually have 3 kinds of mushrooms. :)
1/2 kilo of chicken breasts
here are the easy steps:
1. first things first!
-wash all the ingredients in running water.
2. after that cut the ends of the Enoki, these are the long, thin, white mushrooms. wash again (you can never be sure)
-then i soak the Shitake in water for a couple of minutes.
-and strain all the mushrooms.
3. next will be cutting of the Shitake and button mushrooms into bite size pieces. :) i cut them same as size as possible.
4. for the chicken, its just super easy! after washing and straining the chicken breasts just cut them into strips.
-then add 2 table spoons of Hoisin sauce and squeeze half a lemon.
-mix until all the chicken is covered with the sauce. you can add more Hoisin sauce if you like. hehe.
5. the marinate doesn't really need to take too long but while you're setting the chicken, heat the pan and add oil.
6. once the pan is hot saute the onions until translucent, then add the garlic.
7. the garlic will immediately turn into golden brown, that's the time to add the chicken. :) stir.
8. keep on sauteing the chicken until the meat turns white. add salt and pepper to taste.
9. add half a cup of water and add more Hoisin sauce. i added 3 more teaspoons of hoisin.
10. mix and cover the pan. wait until it boils.
THIS IS OPTIONAL: we added 1 diluted tablespoon of flour in the mixture to make the sauce thick.
11. add the shitake and simmer for 5 minutes.
12. i used a fork to check for the tenderness of the chicken (this aspect really depends on you).
13. if the meat is cooked to my/your liking, add the remaining mushrooms to the pan, simmer for another 5 minutes.
14. stir and taste. add more salt and pepper if you like.
this took me about a good 1/2 an hour to prepare. perfect time for people who are running late.
the result is a sweet, oriental style dish that my family said was new and good!
*big hand for me!!!
will post more of my cooking soon! i hope you guys try to cook some of the dishes we've made!